zaterdag 13 september 2008

My best day

Hola todos!

This will be my first message in English. This way also my Argentian friends can understand what’s happening to me in Argentina. Dutch is not an international language after all.

Let me tell you about my best day here in Argentina. For me it was yesterday, because of many reasons. The day began not so special, not even at school. After school, I went eating with an ASF volunteer (ASF is a similar organisation like YFU; the organisation with whom I went to Argentina).

We had a nice talk, most of the time about my experiences so far in Argentina and he gave me a few tips about life as an exchange student. For example the best way to learn Spanish is watching Spanish movies with Spanish subtitles. He also knows many handy things because he was also an exchange student like me. He went to California for a half year. Because he's a volunteer for the AFS company he has often exchange students at home.


He also gave me the email address of a Belgian exchange student in La Plata. My ‘dad’ works in La Plata, so I will meet her someday :D. Can’t wait. Can you imagine in what mood I was after that conversation? A very good one.

Then a got a phonecall from 'my sister' Agus. She asked me if I would like to go bowling with her and Juani (her boyfriend). Of course I said yes! But bowling is very weird here. You get a smaller ball (without holes), and in one turn you may throw 3 times on tiny skittles. The last and first time I played that game, I really sucked ass.

This time however, I really owned the place. Twenty points before Juani and thirty before Agus. Yes, I know, playing together is the best part, but winning is even better. So it gave me an extra happy feeling that day. And it didn’t end.

The next cool event happened in the evening. Every Tuesday night I play football with Juani and his family. At the beginning I though it would be easy because I am not thàt bad football-player in Belgium. Well I had to change thoughts about that almost immediately: everyone plays better then me, here in Argentina.


But yesterday on the contrary, I really played a good match, I made 3 goals! Lucky me. After the match everyone told me I played a good match, and I felt very proud about myself.

But the most important thing was my improvements in the Spanish language that I felt during the whole day, increasing to the evening.

At the end of the day, there was a phonecall for me. During the whole conversation we didn’t use one single English word! Thàt was very special for me, a relief if I may say so. When people speak in a normal way – that means very fast - I start to understand some things and even say something back in reply.

But the special part about this is that I didn’t have to think about every Spanish word anymore, some sentences came out of my mouth as if it was normal. A strange sensation which I realised later - as if I belong more and more to the Argentinean community. That make Tuesday 9 /11 a very cool day!

Hasta luego!

5 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

He, Yolan, dat is superleuk voor jou. Ik ben wel een beetje jaloers omwille van het taalbad waarvan je duidelijk met volle teugen geniet(en om nog veel andere redenen ook natuurlijk). Ik kijk ernaar uit om jouw boodschapjes in het Spaans te lezen! Niet te lang mee wachten, hé. Dan kan ik jouw Spaanse boodschappen meenemen naar de Spaanse les om jouw ervaringen tijdens de les te bespreken. Is altijd wel leuker dan een krantenartikel of een film bespreken.
Geniet nog flink van je Argentijns avontuur en doe de groetjes aan je familie.
Dikke knuffel!

Moosability zei

This is a very proud brother.

Anoniem zei

Hola! Super dat je Spaans al zo vlot begint te gaan. Ik lees altijd met veel plezier je verhalen. Keep on blogging!
See ya!

Anoniem zei

he's english is anders pretty good

Anoniem zei

mine al wat minder : (
HIS english, of course